Chiptole Pollo Asado is one of the juiciest, mouthwatering, and moist grilled chicken dishes you will ever try. Tender chicken marinated in a chipotle-based marinade with lime and orange juice! Not only is the chicken perfectly seasoned and tasty, but it is also incredibly simple to prepare!
Irresistible Chipotle Pollo Asado Recipe
If you're a fan of Chipotle Mexican Grill, you'll know that in 2022, they added a delicious chicken dish to their menu for the first time in 30 years!!! That can only mean this dish is extra special and scrumptious.
Chipotle's new pollo asado calls for tender and juicy chicken with a smoky flavor and a hint of spice. The chicken is ideal for tacos, salads, and your favorite burrito bowl served with cilantro-lime rice, corn salsa, and black beans, just like Chipotle serves!.
The marinade comes together quickly in a blender or food processor and can be made ahead of time.
Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge overnight, and you'll have a delicious grilled chicken that's perfect for weeknight meals.
Juicy Chicken with Tons of Flavor
What is Pollo Asado?
Pollo Asada is a new limited time protein option recipe from Mexican cuisine. It consists of seasoned and marinated chipotle chicken. The marinade is bursting with flavor thanks to chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic, onion, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, cilantro, lime juice, and orange juice.
The secret weapon in this recipe is the chipotle peppers, which give the marinade its distinct deep red-orange color as well as a rich smoky flavor with a spicy kick!
Pollo Asado typically has a red hue and a flavor that is earthy, sweet, and spicy.
What Is In Pollo Asado?
This copycat version results in tender, moist, and flavorful chicken. This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which are highly recommended. This recipe, marinated in citrus and herbs, is the perfect addition to burritos, burrito bowls, tacos, and more!
You can also use it to make Pollo Asado tacos, serve it with a big white rice bowl, cilantro lime rice, or with your favorite salad: Copycat Juan Pollo Potato Salad Recipe, Gluten-free Tabouli Salad | Easy keto Tabbouleh, or Easy Refreshing Pomegranate Salad.
Chipotle Pollo Asado Ingredients
For this copycat recipe, you need simple ingredients you can find at the grocery store. Here's what you will need:
- Chicken: You will need boneless skinless chicken breast sliced in half lengthwise, You can also use boneless chicken thighs.
Pollo Asado Marinade
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce: This is the secret ingredient in this recipe. If you want to instantly boost the flavor of a marinade, add some chipotle peppers in adobo. They have a rich smoky flavor with a hint of heat! They also give the marinade a lovely red-orange color.
- Onion: Simply cut the onion into quarters and pop it into a food processor or blender with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cilantro: This adds freshness to the marinade, but you can leave it out if you don't like cilantro.
- Fresh lime juice and fresh orange juice: The combination of orange and lime juice gives the marinade a distinct citrus flavor that complements the smoky chipotle peppers in adobo perfectly. I recommend using freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Seasonings: You will need ground cumin, dried oregano, smoked paprika, and salt.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Your Taste Buds Will Thank You!
First, add all of the marinade ingredients into a blender cup. Blend until everything is smooth, like a sauce.
Next, add the chicken to a ziplock bag or an airtight container. Pour the marinade mixture over the chicken. Mix until the chicken is evenly coated.
Then, place the chicken in the fridge and let it marinate overnight.
After that, cook the chicken on a preheated grill pan on medium-high heat for 15–20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Rest the chicken for 10 minutes before cutting.
Finally, serve the chicken and garnish with some fresh cilantro if you like.
- Chicken: You can use any cut of chicken, including boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast, bone-in chicken thighs or breast, chicken drumsticks, or chicken wings.
- Spicy: This recipe can be tweaked to adjust the spice level to your liking. Add some cayenne pepper flakes, chili powder, or Dried guajillo peppers for a spicy flavor.
- Kid-friendly: If you want to make it kid-friendly, you can omit the spice altogether and simply add more citrus than what is listed in this recipe.
You will need a grill pan to cook the chicken.
- Refrigerator: Store the cooled Pollo Asado in an air-tight container or Ziploc bag in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezing: Uncooked marinated Pollo Asado can be frozen in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before continuing with your preferred cooking method (grilled, pan-fried, or air fried).
- Cooked pollo asado can be frozen in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag for up to 6 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating for 2 minutes in the microwave or 2 minutes on each side in a frying pan with a tablespoon of oil.
- Reheating: Reheat the chicken in the microwave for 2 minutes with a splash of water, or in a frying pan over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until warmed through.
Chicken: Chicken thighs should be used if you plan on having leftovers or meal prepping the chicken to avoid the meat drying out when reheating.
Marinade: For best results, I would recommend that you marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes. Allow the chicken to marinate overnight if you have time. Because of the lime and orange juice, the chicken will be more flavorful and moist.
Cooking Method: When cooked over a grill, the flavor of the pollo asado becomes more authentic. The marinade chars beautifully and develops a nice smoky flavor.
If you don't have a grill, you can cook it in a cast iron skillet or cast iron grill pan on the stovetop. However, for a year-round recipe, pan fry, air fry, or sear chicken.
Prep Time: Save time by marinating the chicken a day ahead of time and storing it in the fridge overnight. You can also double the recipe and freeze one batch of marinated chicken for later use!
Delicious Chipotle's Pollo Asado
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You can use any cut of chicken, including boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, bone-in chicken thighs or breasts, chicken drumsticks, or chicken wings.
The internal temperature of the chicken must be at least 165 degrees. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest parts of one of the pieces of chicken to see if it's done. Keep in mind that cooking time might vary depending on the chicken cut you're using.
This pollo asado recipe is an easy meal ideal for meal prep! Make enough chicken for the week and serve it with white rice, mango salsa, and your favorite taco toppings!
Sure! You can grill, sear, bake, or air fry Chipotle Pollo Asado.
Share It with Your Loved Ones!
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Sourandsweets, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience with my recipes. Please share it with me on Instagram.
Chipotle Pollo Asado Recipe
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast sliced in half lengthwise, You can also use boneless chicken thighs.
Pollo Asada Marinade
- ½ cup Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 small white onion quartered
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Add all of the marinade ingredients into a blender cup. Blend until all smooth, like a sauce.
- Add chicken to a ziplock bag or an air-tight container. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Mix until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Place it in the fridge and let it marinate overnight.
- Cook the chicken on a preheated grill pan on medium-high for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 F. Rest the chicken for 10 minutes before cutting.