Are you a culinary enthusiast who loves to try out new recipes? Then, you must give the coke can chicken recipe a whirl. You might have heard of the roasted soda can chicken recipe, right? This dish was quite trendy and intriguing due to how it used an empty coke can to cook chicken. While no actual cola is used in this recipe, as some may misunderstand, a coke can is used to prop up the chicken to keep it wonderfully moist and make the skin crispy. This creates a delectable roast chicken that is sure to become a staple for your family dinners!
So without any further delay, let us dive into the exhilarating and new experience for all the chicken and coke lovers. It’s time you give this roast classic a go!
Ingredients For Coke Can Chicken:
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp pepper paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp citric acid or 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Old bay seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 whole chicken 3-4 lbs
How to make Coke Can Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 480 degrees F (249 degrees C).
- Stir white sugar and salt in cold water until they dissolve completely to form a brine. Discard the chicken giblets and rinse the chicken well – inside and out. Place it in the brine keeping the breast upside down, and place a weight on it to keep the chicken completely submerged. Keep the chicken in a refrigerator for an hour, extract it from the brine, wash it again, pat the meat, and dry it with paper towels. Another step you could do is put the chicken on a plate and place it in the fridge overnight to air dry.
- Combine the 1/4th cup yogurt, 2 tbsp pepper paste, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp seasoning salt, 1 tsp old bay seasoning, 1 tsp smoked paprika, and 1 tsp creole seasoning in a small bowl. Keep mixing them until all the spices are mixed well.
Tip: As the coca-cola chicken marinade represents the secret weapon for this tasty meal, you can customize it with other preferred spices like basil, honey, and garlic cloves.
4. Next, rub this coca-cola chicken marinade all over your chicken, especially under the skin and cavity with your hands.
5. Open your coca-cola can and pour out the drink inside. Save it to eat with the cooked chicken. Drill two holes at the top of your can with the key-style can opener. Then, put the empty can in a deep metal baking dish.
6. Wrap the can in some tinfoil, slide over the chicken over the can, and use drumsticks to ensure balance so the bird is held uptight. Keep its body cavity on the bottom, and lower it over the can for the can to adjust into the cavity. Pull the chicken legs forward to make a tripod shape. Next, remember to fold the wing tips behind the bird’s back so they do not burn.
7. Brush melted butter all around the chicken, making sure to cover every bit of skin and pouring some into the cavity as well. The butter keeps the chicken moist and gives it the signature golden brown caramelization we want.
8. Place the chicken on a baking tray to catch any fat and juices and place the baking tray inside the preheated oven. For about 30 minutes, cook the chicken at 480 degrees F (248 degrees C).
9. After that, turn the heat down to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C), cover the coke can chicken with aluminum foil, and bake for a further 20 minutes until the skin looks deliciously browned and crispy. The aluminum foil will prevent the chicken from burning and keep it moist.
10. Using your mittens, carefully take out the coke can chicken oven dish.
Tip: Remember that the coke can could get extremely hot, so do not touch it with bare hands.
11. Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes.
12. Finally, get rid of the can, carve the chicken, and serve it on a plate.
Eat it with some chips, coca-cola, fries, and coleslaw. There you have it! Your own coca-cola roast can chicken.
Why Try the Coke Can Chicken?
If you are someone who loves to introduce a new style to his/her chicken cooking, this is a must-try for you.
Our recipe used the whole chicken, but you can also try it with any part of the chicken you like – be it breasts, thighs, or wings.
No matter which portion you use, the can will ensure the meat inside stays moist, and our seasoning blend will ensure that it is flavourful. The coke can chicken can be a great option to have low fat, healthy, and protein-packed meal.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Our recipe used an empty coke can. If you want to emphasize the coke flavor, you can remove 1/3rd of the coke and cook using the remainder. The coke will evaporate during the cooking process and impart flavor to the meat from inside the chicken. What this will do is give a stronger coca cola flavor to your chicken.
Our expert chefs would recommend eating it on the same day it is cooked. This gives you the exact flavors to relish. If you want to save it up for later, we would suggest keeping it in a refrigerator for 3-4 days, not more than that.
This is a big no. If you are going to roast something in an oven, preheating is a must. Mistakes are made, though. This should not pose that big of a problem for the coke can chicken. You only need to bake in the oven for a longer time than the time specified in our recipe. Try using a thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked through. (Chicken is ready when the thermometer read 165 degrees °F)
That’s it, and you are all good to go now! Good luck making our recipe!
That’s it! You have a delicious no-fail moist chicken for dinner with delicious crispy skin that your family will devour right away.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Sourandsweets, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience with my recipes. Please share it with me on Instagram.
Coke Can Chicken Recipe
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp pepper paste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp citric acid or
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Old bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1 creole seasoning
- 3-4 lb. One whole chicken
- Preheat your oven to 480 degrees °F.
- In a bowl, add yogurt and all spices, mix until all combined.
- With your hands, cover the chicken with the marinade.
- Place an empty can of coke in a baking dish, place the chicken on the can, Pull the chicken legs forward.
- Place the chicken in a preheated oven, cook for 30 minutes at 480 degrees °F, lower the heat to 400 degrees °F; place a piece of aluminum foil on the chicken to avoid burns, and bake for 20 more minutes.