Pakistani Bakery Style Chicken Patties can be found in almost every Pakistani home on various occasions. Spicy Chicken Patties are made with puff pastry and shredded chicken seasoned with garlic, coriander powder, ginger, black pepper, chili flakes, parsley, and soy sauce. The perfect finger food the whole family will love!
Flaky, Addictive, and Delicious
What Are Pakistani Bakery Style Chicken Patties?
Chicken patties are golden squares, circles, or triangles of crunchy, buttery, delectable puff pastry wrapped around a creamy chicken filling, usually served in Pakistani bakeries.
You can bake these homemade chicken patties right away or freeze them and bake them whenever you need a delicious snack for the kids after school or an appetizer for your next potluck or party.
These Pakistani Bakery Style Chicken Patties are completely customizable, so feel free to experiment with new ingredients, fresh herbs, and seasonings. Each bite is truly a pocket of heaven.
You can serve them as a side dish with your favorite soups, or salads, such as Copycat Juan Pollo Potato Salad Recipe, Gluten-free Tabouli Salad | Easy keto Tabbouleh, and Copycat Jimmy Johns Tuna Salad Recipe.
- What Are Pakistani Bakery Style Chicken Patties?
- Pakistani Bakery Style Chicken Patties Ingredients
- How to make Spicy Chicken Patties Recipe
- Top Tips for the Best Pakistani Bakery-Style Chicken Patties
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Pakistani Bakery Style Chicken Patties
Pakistani Bakery Style Chicken Patties Ingredients
Puff pastry sheets: For this creamy chicken puff pastry recipe, you'll need puff pastry sheets, which can be found in almost any grocery store. It's usually found in the frozen dessert section, next to the phyllo dough.
Chicken: For this recipe, you need boneless chicken. Because all you really need is shredded chicken, feel free to use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken to save time! I also have a recipe for homemade rotisserie chicken.
Butter: Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a skillet to make the roux, or white sauce, in which the chicken will simmer.
All-purpose Flour: Flour will thicken the roux. It's essential to make a thick sauce so it doesn't leak out of the puff pastry.
Soy Sauce: It gives the chicken a delicious flavor.
Seasoning: I keep it simple with fresh parsley, ginger, coriander powder, garlic, black pepper, and salt. To spice things up, I add red chili flakes.
Chicken stock: You need chicken stock to make the white sauce. If you don't have chicken stock, you can use milk.
Egg: The beaten egg is used to brush the top of the chicken puff pastry right before it goes into the oven. It will give it a nice golden brown color.
Black and white sesame seeds: for garnish
See the recipe card for quantities.
The Perfect Snack or Party Appetizer
How to make Spicy Chicken Patties Recipe
First, in a pan over medium heat, melt butter, and add sliced onion and fresh parsley (or fresh coriander). Cook until translucent and soft for 3 minutes.
Next, add cooked shredded chicken, soy sauce, coriander powder, black pepper, red chili flakes, garlic, and ginger. Cook for a couple of minutes minutes; add flour to the mixture and mix quickly.
Then, add chicken stock and cook for 1-2 minutes until it thickens.
After that, cool the mixture until it is at room temperature.
Now, Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Place the puff pastry sheet on a flat surface. Cut each sheet into squares or circles.
Then, brush the puff pastry square with the egg wash, and add 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Place another square on top and seal the edges with a fork.
Now, place them on the baking tray. Repeat for the rest of the puff pastry squares. Brush the top with the egg wash (beaten egg) and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Finally, Bake for 20-25 minutes. Broil on high until lightly golden brown on top.
Impress Your loved Ones with these Gems
- Milk: You can use milk instead of chicken stock to make the white sauce.
- Vegetarian: It's easy to make this recipe vegetarian. Instead of using chicken you can make it with tofu. Just make sure to drain the liquid from the tofu and to skip the egg wash. You can also make vegetable patties with your favorite veggies filling.
- Beef: Instead of shredded chicken, you can use a beef filling to make beef patties.
You can have a lot of fun with this recipe!
- Cheesy: Once the filling is cooked, you add parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese, or any other cheese you prefer.
- Seasonings: You can play around with your seasonings according to your personal preferences. Garam masala, white cumin, and coriander seeds are great ideas.
- Spicy: You can add green chilies if you want your patties spicier.
You will need a baking sheet pan.
A Pocket of Heaven
- Storing: Because there is chicken involved, I recommend storing leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Freezing: You can flash freeze chicken puff patties for a few hours, and spread out on a sheet pan. Then place them in a ziplock bag and freeze them for up to 3 months! These are fantastic to prepare months in advance!
- Reheating: You can reheat your chicken patties in a preheated air fryer preheated to 325 F for 8-10 minutes. You can also do the same thing in the oven. However, I don't recommend reheating them in the microwave because they will lose their crunch.
Top Tips for the Best Pakistani Bakery-Style Chicken Patties
- Thaw the puff pastry on the counter until it's easy to cut.
- To cut the puff pastry, use a very sharp knife or cutter.
- Check your oven temperature since a low temperature will result in flat patties.
- Don't open the oven door unless absolutely necessary. Simply rotate the patties once or twice.
- It's essential that you let the chicken mixture cool down at room temperature before stuffing the puff pastry. This will ensure that you have crispy puff pastry.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Phyllo dough and puff pastry dough are not interchangeable, so make sure you get the right one. Puff pastry is made up of layers of dough laminated together with thin layers of butter in between. When baked, it puffs up and flakes up.
Puff pastry is made from a simple dough that is stretched and folded to form layers. When the dough bakes, the layers puff up as the moisture in the dough converts to steam, resulting in that amazing flaky texture that everyone adores.
It's Hard to Go Wrong with these Chicken Patties
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Sourandsweets, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience with my recipes. Please share it with me on Instagram.
Pakistani Bakery Style Chicken Patties
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped, You can also use fresh coriander
- 150 grams boneless chicken boiled & shredded, I used shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or whole milk
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg for egg wash
- sesame seeds black and white optional
- In a pan over medium heat, melt butter, and add onion and fresh parsley (or fresh coriander). Cook until translucent and soft for 3 minutes.
- Add cooked shredded chicken, soy sauce, coriander powder, black pepper, red chili flakes, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes; add flour to the mixture and mix quickly.
- Add chicken stock and cook for 1-2 minutes until it thickens.
- Cool the mixture until it is at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on a flat surface. Cut each sheet into squares or circles.
- Brush the puff pastry square with the egg wash, and add 2 tablespoon of the chicken mixture. Place another square on top and seal the edges with a fork.
- Place them on the baking sheet. Repeat for the rest of the puff pastry squares. Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Bake for 20 minutes. Broil on high until lightly golden on top.