If you're tired of cooking the same chicken meals over and over, then you must try the Texas Roadhouse portobello Mushroom Chicken. Marinated chicken breasts are grilled to perfection and topped with Monterey Jack cheese, creamy Portobello mushroom sauce, and fresh Parmesan cheese. It's a great choice when you’re looking to spice up those regular, bland chicken dishes.
Put this Dish on Your Menu this Week!
For around 50 years, the Texas Roadhouse portobello mushroom chicken has been a favorite in the U.S. food industry. Texas Roadhouse Restaurant is also famous for its steaks, ribs, and seafood.
The Texas Roadhouse Portobello Mushroom Chicken is a great combination of perfectly grilled, marinated chicken breasts with homemade Portobello Mushroom Sauce on top, Monterey Jack cheese, fresh Parmesan, and sautéed mushrooms. It's the perfect dish that is simple enough for midweek but elegant enough for company.
Tasty and Creamy
This Copycat Texas Roadhouse Portobello Mushroom Chicken recipe requires uncomplicated ingredients:
- Butter: I use unsalted butter.
- Portobello Mushrooms: Choose firm, sturdy portobello mushrooms that are free of dark spots.
- Garlic: Garlic will add a kick of flavor to your mushroom sauce.
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup: You will need the condensed cream of mushroom soup to make the mushroom sauce.
- Water: to make the mushroom sauce
- Parmesan cheese: I recommend using freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Seasonings: You will need garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. You can also add a sprinkle of white pepper if you like.
- Chicken breasts: You will need boneless chicken breasts cut into 2-3 thin slices, or cut into thin strips.
- Seasonings: You will need some garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt to season your chicken breasts.
- Oil: Use any kind of vegetable oil for frying the chicken.
- Monterey Jack cheese: You'll need slices of Monterey cheese to top your chicken breasts with.
- Parmesan cheese: A sprinkle of parmesan cheese will take your dish to a whole new level.
- Parsley: Garnish your chicken breasts with finely chopped parsley.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Step By Step Instructions
First, melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Saute the chopped portobello mushrooms and garlic for about 2-3 minutes, and then add the condensed cream of mushroom soup, water, and seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt). Lastly, add parmesan cheese and cook for one more minute until the cheese melts.
Next, season the chicken on both sides with the seasonings (salt, paprika, black pepper, and garlic powder). Add oil to a pan on medium-high heat, and fry the chicken on both sides for 4-5 minutes until they are golden brown.
Now, add one slice of Monterey Jack cheese to each piece of chicken and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Broil on high until the cheese is melted.
Finally, serve the chicken with the mushroom mixture and sprinkle with parsley.
One of the best things about a portobello mushroom sauce is that it goes with almost anything. Here are a few ideas if you want to substitute the chicken for something else:
- Fish: Fish is a great substitute for chicken; you can grill it the same way or pan fry it on high heat before finishing it in the oven with cheese. Tilapia or bass would be ideal for this.
- Beef steak: Beef is a great alternative to grilled chicken; it can be grilled in the same manner as chicken.
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese (or even bleu cheese) is a great alternative to Monterey jacks because of its sharp flavor, which complements the mushroom sauce and chicken perfectly.
- Spicy: Add some chili pepper flakes to the chicken seasoning.
- Deluxe: Serve with mashed potatoes for a heavenly combination.
It's as Tasty as It Looks!
What Can You Serve With Texas Roadhouse Mushroom Chicken?
Portobello Mushroom Chicken Texas Roadhouse goes well with:
Buttered Corn: Hearty buttered corn, a signature Texas Roadhouse side dish and a popular option for this style of cooking, is a tasty way to complement your Texas RoadHouse Portobello Mushroom Chicken meal.
Veggies: If you want something lighter, a simple dish of fresh vegetables with broccoli, carrots, and tiny tomatoes is the best way to cut through the richness of the Texas RoadHouse Portobello Mushroom Chicken.
Mashed potatoes: This popular Southern American side dish is even better when served with mashed potatoes and Quick and Easy Vegetable Broth Gravy. It will keep you warm and comfortable during the winter months.
Baked Potato: A baked potato is a delicious side dish that goes well with this recipe.
You will need a cast-iron skillet.
Rich and Elegant
- Reheating: Simply combine all of the ingredients in an ovenproof bowl or dish, cover with foil to prevent drying, and bake for 15 minutes. If you need to reheat this Texas Roadhouse Portobello Mushroom Chicken quickly, place it in the microwave for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Freezing: To freeze Texas Roadhouse portobello Mushroom Chicken, simply allow the food to cool before placing it in a freezer bag, Tupperware, or a bowl wrapped in cling wrap (this must be airtight, or the food will get freezer burn). It will keep in the freezer for at least 3 months.
- How to Select Mushrooms: Avoid picking up mushrooms that are slightly yellow and lack a ring. Also, make sure that they are dry and free of dark spots.
- How to Clean Mushrooms: Take firm, sturdy portobello mushrooms that are free of dark spots. Place them in a perforated bowel. Wash each item separately in cold water. You can use your finger to remove the dirt. Dry them with a paper towel. Please do not wash them all at once. You can also clean them with a paper towel.
- Use boneless chicken breasts in this recipe. To enhance all of the flavors and produce tasty food, the ingredients must penetrate deep into the chicken.
- Use butter to saute the mushrooms because it enhances the flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
You can substitute fish, salmon, or any other meat for your Texas Roadhouse Portobello mushroom chicken.
Portobello mushrooms are mature, dark brown cremini mushrooms. The tops of these mushrooms are open, revealing the gills.
A Great Meal to Share with Your Loved Ones
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Sourandsweets, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience with my recipes. Please share it with me on Instagram.
Copycat Texas Roadhouse Portobello Mushroom Chicken
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cup portobello Mushroom finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 chicken breast Cut into 2-3 thin slices, or cut into thin strips.
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup oil for frying the chicken
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Saute mushroom and garlic for 2-3 minutes, and then add condensed cream of mushroom soup, water, and seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt). Lastly, add parmesan cheese and cook for one more minute until the cheese melts.
- Season chicken on both sides with the seasonings (salt, paprika, black pepper, and garlic powder). Add oil to a pan on medium heat and fry the chicken on both sides for 4-5 minutes.
- Add one slice of cheese to each chicken and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Broil on high until cheese is melted.
- Serve the chicken with the mushroom sauce and sprinkle with parsley.