Do you want a healthy delicious alternative to traditional potato chips? This Air Fryer Pita Chips recipe is what you’re looking for.
When you make these easy homemade air fryer pita chips the first time, you will ask for them again and again! Lightly seasoned, golden brown, and crunchy, they're perfect on their own or with your favorite dip!
A Delicious Midday Snack!
Are Air Fryer Pita Chips Healthy?
In general, air fryer recipes are considered healthy. Making air fryer pita chips recipe at home is a great way to control the ingredients you add to this recipe. You can simply pick healthy ingredients.
This homemade air fried pita chips recipe is better than store-bought pita bread chips. Make sure that you have a bag of pita bread then start making this great recipe.
Are You Looking for a Healthy Snack?
To make crispy air fryer pita chips, you will need the following simple ingredients:
- Pita pockets: You need pita bread pockets to make your own pita chips.
- Olive oil: For best results, use good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt: Sprinkle salt on pita triangles. Sea salt is a good option for this pita chip recipe.
- Garlic powder: For a unique kick of flavor, adding garlic powder is a must.
- Sumac: An authentic spice in the Middle East is sumac. It has a pleasantly sour taste that all eastern people love. You can also use Italian seasonings.
- Oregano: For an aromatic fragrance and earthy flavor, oregano is your great option to mix with herby olive oil mixture.
Check the recipe card for quantities.
First, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F for 4-5 minutes.
Second, cut the pita pocket into eight triangles, and open it up so you can have 16 total chips.
Then, mix olive oil, salt, sumac, garlic powder, and oregano in a small bowl.
After that, brush both sides of the pita with the olive oil and herb mixture. You can also toss them until they are fully coated with the herbs.
Next, add pita triangles to the air fryer basket and air fryer at 350 degrees F for 6 minutes. Flip the pita chips and air fryer for one more minute until golden brown and crispy.
Now, let the pita chips cool in the air fryer basket before serving.
Finally, serve them with a large bowl of hummus or your favorite spread. Dig your crispy chips and enjoy!
The Perfect Healthy Snack with a Bit of Homemade Hummus!
Don’t Have an Air Fryer? No Problem!
Even if you don’t have an air fryer, you can still enjoy these delicious pita chips.
The simple steps of preparing pita triangles are similar to the original recipe. The difference is in the cooking process.
Baked Pita Chips
You can make these easy homemade pita chips in the oven.
All you have to do is to preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Then, line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Now, brush both sides of the pita with olive oil and herbs. Transfer pita chips to the baking sheet in a single layer.
After that bake pita chips in the oven until they get a golden color and have a crunchy texture. Finally serve this delicious snack alongside your favourite dip.
Fried Pita Chips
You can also make crispy pita chips using the deep-frying technique. You can use a ninja foodi deep fryer or simply in a pan on the stovetop.
Heat vegetable oil over medium heat. In deep frying, it is better to avoid olive oil since it is always needed to be below 200 degrees F.
Fry in small batches until golden brown and crispy. Don't overcrowd your pan and make sure that pita triangles are fried evenly on both sides.
Give These Crispy Pitas a Try Today!
- Oil: You can use avocado oil, sunflower oil, or coconut oil instead of olive oil.
- Pita: Most round pitas work well in this recipe. You can use different varieties of pita bread: either regular pita bread, whole wheat pita, or pita bread pockets in this recipe.
The sky is your limit here! Here are some tasty variations you can try next time.
- Seasoning: You can season homemade air fryer pita chips recipe according to the favorite spices you love. Mix with oil any of these spices: onion powder, Za'atar, dried basil, Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, dried mint, dried parsley, etc.
- Spicy: For a hot version, add black pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes to the olive oil and herb mixture.
- Sweet: Do you love sweet flavors? Then in a small bowl, mix cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle on the pita wedges to get crispy cinnamon sugar pita chips.
Seasoned to Perfection!
The best part is when delivering these delicious air fryer pita chips. Serve these with any of the following delicious recipes.
Serve air-fried pita chips alongside your favorite dip. Lebanese Hummus dip is a popular middle eastern dip that you will certainly love! Baba ganoush is also another yummy dip.
Other tasty dips are Haydari Meze (Turkish Yogurt Dip), Mirza Ghasemi - Persian Eggplant Dip, and even Greek yogurt will be a great companion to these pita chips.
Another hearty option is Refreshing Pomegranate Salad. Believe me, you won’t be disappointed!
You can also enjoy these crispy pitas with Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup . It is a great cozy soup with air fryer pita chips!
A Perfect Snack After a Long Working Day!
Use COSORI Air Fryer Max XL to air fry pita chips.
- Put a single layer of pita chips in the air fryer basket. Otherwise, the chips will not cook evenly, and you will find that some spots are not as crunchy.
- To cut the pita pocket, use a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors.
- Allow the air fryer tortilla chips to cook long enough to ensure that the chips are crispy. In case you cut pita chips larger, then cooking time should be extended by a minute or two.
- The best way to brush both sides of the pita with the olive oil and herb mixture is to use a pastry brush.
A Crispy Trip to Heaven!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Warm pita chips are best to serve them immediately right out of the air fryer, they have the crispiest texture. However, you can make these homemade chips a day ahead and reheat them when you’re ready to serve.
Yes, it works. Instead of olive oil, brush pita triangles in melted butter then sprinkle your favorite seasonings on the top before cooking pitas.
A Tasty Snack for Chips Lovers!
- Once the pita chips are completely cool, store the leftover pitas in an airtight container or a Ziplock bag at room temperature for about 3 to 4 days.
- To heat the pita bread chips, pop them back in the air fryer, set the temperature to 360 degrees F, and heat for a couple of minutes to crisp them back up.
- Pita chips also freeze well! Just place them in a Ziplock bag with the air pressed out. They last for 2-3 months in the freezer. When you are ready to serve them, let pitas thaw on the counter for one hour and then crisp them back up in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Pita Chips
- 1 pita pocket
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sumac or Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Cut the pita pocket into eight triangles, and open it up so you can have 16 total chips.
- Mix olive oil, salt, sumac, garlic powder, and oregano in a small bowl.
- Brush both sides of the pita with the olive oil and herb mixture. You can also toss them until they are fully coated with the herbs.
- Add pita triangles to the air fryer basket and air fryer at 350 degrees F for 6 minutes. Flip the pita chips and air fryer for one more minute until brown and crispy.
- Let the pita chips cool in the air fryer basket before serving.
- Serve them with hummus or your favorite spread.
Leave a Reply