This Bulgur Pilaf with Vermicelli and Chicken is one of these dishes that I make when I am not in the mood for rice but looking for something healthy and filling at the same time. Moreover, this bulgur is very simple yet satisfying. It makes a wonderful meal for a wonderful day.
Special Traditional Taste!
Bulgur pilaf with vermicelli is known in Kurdish as “Savar”. You can make it with or without chicken. You can serve bulgur pilaf as a main dish or a side dish. Also, it's often served with chopped salad, cucumber yogurt salad, or yogurt drink. It is a traditional dish in Kurdistan because it costs very little and straightforward when making it.
You can cook bulgur without chicken, but I love the chicken flavor with bulgur. If you decide to make it without chicken, you can use chicken stock or chicken broth. If you are vegan, you can substitute chicken broth with vegetable broth.
It is a Must Try!
In this bulgur pilaf with vermicelli recipe, I used bulgur that is already mixed with toasted vermicelli. If you wish to add vermicelli to your bulgur, you should toast vermicelli right before adding bulgur in the same pot.
What is Bulgur Pilaf?
Bulgur is a whole grain that is similar to quinoa. Bulgur is a lot healthier than white rice. It has a low glycemic index, unlike rice. It contains much more fiber and protein. Also, it contains minerals and vitamins.
Pilaf is a rice or wheat dish whose ingredients are cooked in stock or broth with spices, vegetables or meat, or grains.
When you see the word “pilaf” added to a rice recipe or bulgur recipe like mine here, that means that this dish is not cooked in a typical way. Bulgur pilaf means that the bulgur is pan-fried with aromatics before cooking in broth to create the best seasoned bulgur.
Types of Bulgur:
There are four types of bulgur which are fine, medium coarse, coarse, and extra coarse bulgur. Bulgur usually contains numbers from 1-4 on the packages.
Fine Bulgur is number one bulgur which is quick cooking and the smallest size of all. You can use fine bulgur in tabbouleh salad and bulgur kubba.
Medium Coarse Bulgur is the number 2 bulgur. I used this type of bulgur with toasted vermicelli in this recipe.
Red Coarse, as its name implies, is darker in color. It is made from whole grain red wheat, which is softer than yellow bulgur.
Coarse and Extra Coarse Bulgur are the largest size of bulgur and are the longest to cook. They are advertised as number 3 and 4. I cook coarse bulgur using a 1:2 ratio. For 1 cup of bulgur, add 2 cups of hot water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth.
Tips for Bulgur with Chicken Recipes:
- Make sure you use a large pot. Bulgur will double in volume when it cooks.
- Don’t skip black peppers. Black pepper complements bulgur.
- Traditional Kurdish bulgur pilaf is cooked with salt and black pepper only. However, you can add your twist to it and add whatever spice you prefer. Cumin adds excellent flavor to bulgur.
- Don’t skip adding your favorite broth to bulgur.
Frequently Asked Questions:
You can find Bulgur in any middle eastern grocery stores or online.
For this bulgur pilaf it is the best to use number 2 or 3. Make sure to cook it on medium heat for 15-18 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
You can eat bulgur pilaf by its own or serve it with any salad of your choice. My kids love eating bulgur pilaf with homemade yogurt.
Yes, you can cook bulgur with beef or chicken. Cook beef or chicken in advance and use their liquid in place of water.
Yes, you can top bulgur pilaf with toasted pine nuts or toasted slivered almonds.
Bulgur is a form of whole wheat that has been cleaned, cracked, and parboiled, then grounded into various bulgur sizes. As I mentioned above, bulgur is sold by its size. Bulgur wheat has not been precooked. You can’t substitute bulgur wheat with bulgur in this recipe.
Don't Miss this!
- chicken Legs or quarters
- bulgur with vermicelli
- black pepper
- Maggi chicken cube
- slivered almonds
Let's Make this Dish Together!
Cook the chicken
Cook the chicken or beef in advance. Then, use their liquid in place of water. Chicken legs and quarter took about 40 minutes to cook on medium heat. Use a strainer to separate the chicken from its water.
Cook Bulgur and Toast Almonds
In a pot, add two tablespoons of oil and then add cooked chicken, Maggi cube, rinsed bulgur, black pepper, and salt if needed. Lastly, add the liquid from the chicken.
Let the bulgur cook on medium heat for 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
Cover the pot with the lid and turn the heat to low for another 10 minutes.
Toast slivered almonds: In a small pan, turn the heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons of oil and slivered almonds. Keep string until they are all toasted. Place them on a paper towel so all the oil can be absorbed.
Other Recipes You Should Try:
- Chicken tikka in oven
- Eggplant kebab
- Fava bean Stew
- Beef and Vegetable Casserole Recipe
- Vegetarian Stuffed Grape Leaves Recipe
- Unique Stuffed Dumplings: kubba Halab
- 3 Ingredient Vermicelli Rice in Instant Pot
- Juicy Baked Chicken Leg And Thigh Quarters
- Mint Lentil Soup Recipe| A Step by Step Guide
- Foil Wrapped Chicken Thighs Recipe
If you’ve tried this Bulgur Pilaf recipe or any other recipe on Sourandsweets, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience with my recipes. Share it with me on Instagram.
Special Bulgar Pilaf with Vermicelli and Chicken
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
Cook the chicken
- Cook the chicken or beef in advance. Use their liquid in place of water. Chicken legs and quarter took about 40 minutes to cook on medium heat. Use a strainer to separate the chicken from its water.
How to cook bulgur:
- In a pot, add two tablespoons of oil and then add cooked chicken, Maggi cube, rinsed bulgur, black pepper, and salt if needed. Lastly, add the liquid from the chicken.
- Let the bulgur cook on medium heat for 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Cover the pot with the lid and turn the heat to low for another 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, fluff it with a fork sprinkle toasted almonds on top. Serve it with scallions, cucumber yogurt salad.
Toast slivered almonds:
- In a small pan, turn the heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons of oil and slivered almonds. Keep stirring until they are all toasted. Place them on a paper towel so all the oil can be absorbed.