A dish to enjoy together is the Quick Steak and Cheese Pita Recipe with tender flank steak, melted gooey pepper jack cheese, and slices of onions with pita bread. It is an easy way to make a quick and delicious cheesesteak sandwich.
Here’s my family favorite and a quick sandwich idea. I hope it helps you with dinner when you are short on time. Most of all, I hope you love these cheesesteak sandwiches as much as we do.
Quickest Delicious Meal
I want to share this fantastic cheesesteak sandwich with a pita bread recipe. They are super easy to make and time-saving. They are kid-friendly and it makes a perfect school lunch idea.
Making your cheesesteak sandwich is easy and it can take under 20 minutes to be ready. You can marinate the steak overnight. That way, the steak will be so tender and full of flavor.
My kids love having sandwiches, mostly when I use pita bread and press than by a Panini Press. You can cook your steak and use it throughout the week. It’s a great meal-prep option.
By making a homemade sandwich, you can control the fat and carbohydrates content. You can either buy the steak that has already cut ½ inch strips or buy your preferred piece of steak and cut it into ½ inch strips.
Interesting Facts About Cheesesteak
A cheesesteak or steak and cheese (also known as Philadelphia cheesesteak or Philly Cheesesteak, etc.) is a sandwich made of thinly sliced pieces of beef steak with melted cheese in a long hoagie roll. This sandwich is a popular fast food that has its roots in the US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Cheesesteak sandwich was developed in the early 20th century. According to a 1987 exhibition catalog published by Library Company of Philadelphia, it was a sandwich combining sliced beef, onions, and cheese in a small loaf of bread.
Pat and Harry Olivieri from Philadelphia are often credited with inventing the sandwich by serving chopped steak on an Italian roll in the early 1930's.
Pita is a flatbread. It is often round and brown or white bread usually made with wheat, the active ingredient yeast, and some other simple ingredients.
Pita was originated in the Middle East and around the Mediterranean region. It is widely used in the cuisines of these countries. Also, you can find pita bread in the Levant and North Africa. It was also made by the Ancient Greeks and Turkish.
Meal Prep Tips
My cheesesteak sandwich is perfect for easy meal prep to make weeknight meals.
To meal prep my cheesesteak sandwich, you can slice onions and peppers, and mushrooms and place them in the zip-lock bag. Place the steak in another bag with all the spices and give it a shake.
Next, put it all in the fridge to marinate in these delicious spices overnight. It will be ready in minutes whenever you are ready to cook it for lunch or dinner. You can’t beat a quick and easy dinner idea.
Also, you can cook the steak with onions and place it in an airtight container and place it in the fridge. When it’s time for dinner, add steak into your bread, add cheese, and press them by a Panini Press until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The perfect cheese for steak is blue cheese, but you might prefer something else. Cheese for a steak topping should crumble, so stick with something like Gorgonzola, blue cheese, feta, or something along these lines.
You can serve a cheese steal with french fries, onion rings, chips, or even a potato or pasta salad. Other topping ideas include banana peppers, pickles, oil and vinegar, hot sauce, steak sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, peppers, and sweet peppers.
You can spice it up a notch by rubbing your steak with chili powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika or ground cumin. These smoky, spicy ingredients add a ton of depth and kick the natural beefy flavor of the steak.
Quick and Easy!
- Skirt steak, flank, or hanger steak
- Steak seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Aleppo pepper
- Pita bread (or any bread)
- Green pepper
How to Make Steak and Cheese Pita Recipe:
In a skillet, add oil and the steak.
Add all spices and salt and mix and make sure everything has coated with seasoning. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes (you can reduce the amount of black pepper and seasoning).
Add sliced onions (add sliced green peppers and mushrooms now) and mix and cook for three more minutes or until steak is cooked and onions are soft and caramelized.
Cut pita bread in half, add your favorite cheese inside and fill it up with cooked steak.
Place it on a panini press until cheese has melted and bread is toasted.
Easy Steak You Will Love!
Other Recipes You Will Love:
- Chicken enchilada with Philadelphia cream cheese
- Mashed potatoes with Boursin cheese
- Cheddar broccoli soup from scratch
- The Creamy beef pasta recipe
- 40 Easy Air fryer Recipes for Beginners
- Dawood Basha (Baked Kafta and Potatoes)
- Effortless Ranch Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Vermicelli Rice in Instant Pot
- BBQ Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
- Perfect Homemade Ground Beef Gyro
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Sourandsweets, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience with my recipes. Please share it with me on Instagram.
Quick Steak and Cheese Pita Recipe
- 1 pound flank steak cut into ½ inch strips
- sliced onions use sliced white onions
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoon steak seasonings use your favorite steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder you can use fresh garlic as well
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 pita bread cut them in half
- sliced green pepper optional
- sliced mushrooms optional
- In a skillet, add oil and the steak.
- Add all spices and salt and mix and make sure everything has been coated with seasoning.
- Add sliced onions (you can add sliced green peppers and mushrooms now) and mix and cook for three more minutes or until steak is cooked and onions are soft and caramelized.
- Cut pita bread in half, add your favorite cheese inside, and fill it up with cooked steak.
- Place it on a panini press until cheese has melted and bread is toasted.