This Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cake Mix Recipe is not only easy to make, a time saver and delicious, it also makes the perfect top quality dessert for family and friends. And yourself of course! Unique in shape and size from any ordinary cake, it's loaded with a smooth rich Chocolate flavor covered in any toppings you desire! Get ready to get creative!
Anyone say Cake?
When designing this cake recipe, instead of starting the cake mix from scratch, I used 'Duncan Hine's perfectly moist Devil's Food' cake mix with added creativity from my end to give you this unique recipe to try. Of course, you can try this recipe with whichever cake mix you prefer and mix and match the added ingredients where necessary, making this an awesome recipe for all of us to get creative and adapt easy. Are you ready to give it a go?
What Small Changes Can I Make?
A few things we can play with in this recipe are the wet ingredients. If the cake box says to add water, you can choose to substitute milk instead, giving you a more richer taste. Or try adding oil instead of butter and an extra egg to the mix. I made the changes myself in this recipe to get that added taste of perfection!
Also, I added one box of instant vanilla pudding and an extra half cup of homemade yogurt. All will be revealed in the recipe below, check it out!
The Finale.. Decorated and Perfected
Now for the serious moment, how do we make this Chocolate Bundt Cake?
Ingredients for Chocolate Bundt Cake
- melted butter
- box of Duncan Hines perfectly moist devil's food cake mix
- box of vanilla or chocolate pudding mix
- chocolate chips
Step-by-step for Chocolate Bundt Cake
- In a large bowl, add melted butter, milk, and yogurt, mix until everything is combined.
- Add the cake mix, vanilla pudding and eggs. Add one egg at a time until everything is combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 35-40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
How do You Make a Box Cake Taste Homemade?
1- Add More Eggs
To get an extra moist and rich cake, you can add 1-2 extra eggs in addition to the amount of eggs written on the box of the cake mix.
2- Avoid adding water
Swap water out for another liquid. You can substitute water with whole milk or any of your favorite non-dairy milk products. Also, half-and-half or buttermilk are other great alternatives. Adding fatty liquids gives you much better flavor as well as density in your cake.
3- Avoid oils
Most box cake recipes include oil. Oil has no flavor, so I would suggest replacing the oil with melted butter. For a more decadent cake, add ½ cup of full-fat yogurt.
Lets Talk about Frosting...
Frosting is delicious! It's a thick and fluffy mixture which you can easily make to decorate any sort of cake and works especially well with this Chocolate Bundt Cake with so many different flavors to play around with! With this recipe, I chose to make a cream cheese frosting to decorate the cake, very simple and easy to follow.
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
- butter (softened at room temperature)
- powdered sugar
- half and half or heavy cream
Step-by-step for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream the butter and add the softened cream cheese until combined.
- Add the two cups of powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add 1 teaspoon of half-and-half or heavy cream and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Store in the fridge until its time to decorate your cake.
How does the Cream Cheese Frosting feel?
The cream cheese frosting lies somewhere between a spreadable and pourable mixture. It's quite thick but also quite easy to eat with a spoon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Firstly, and most importantly, is to not use a dark pan! As for size, the most common size pan to use is a 12-cup capacity but a 10-cup pan can also be used.
The design of the pan makes it hard to remove the cake without sticking. To avoid this, you can use melted butter making sure to cover all the surfaces and edges and a sprinkle of flour. Tilt and turn the pan to spread the flour across the whole pan and then get rid of any excess.
You can choose to add the batter to the pan using a measuring cup or large scoop to fill in every curve of the pan. Using a spatula, you can also distribute the batter better to cover all edges.
After the time specified in the recipe, it's time to check up on your cake! Insert a long pick or skewer into the center of the cake and it should come out clean.
More Dessert Recipes You Should Try:
- Apple Bundt cake with cake mix
- No-Bake Nescafe Cake
- Philadelphia caramel-pecan cheesecake
- Lemon pound cake with pudding
- No-Bake Lotus Biscoff Cheesecake
- Lemon cookies using Cake mix
- The Best Carrot Cake from scratch
- Red Velvet Cookies using Cake mix
- Russian Napoleon Cake
- Easy Chocolate Recipe from Scratch
Are you ready to use your imagination and get creative with this easy step by step Chocolate Bundt Cake recipe? Make sure to let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below. Stay up to date with the latest recipes at Sourandsweets and don't forget to rate this recipe!
I would love to hear all your experiences with my recipes so why not share it with me on Instagram.
Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cake Mix
Chocolate Bundt Cake Ingridents:
- 1 cup Milk
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 box Duncan Hines perfectly moist devil’s food cake mix or any cake mix of your choice
- 4 whole Eggs
- 1 box vanilla or chocolate pudding mix
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingridents:
- 8 oz Cream cheese ( softened at room temperature)
- ¼ cup butter ( softened at room temperature)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon half and half or heavy cream
How to make Chocolate Bundt Cake
- In a large bowl, add melted butter, milk and yogurt, mix until everything is combined.
- Add cake mix, vanilla pudding, and lastly, add one egg at a time until everything is combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips, pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 35-40 minutes.
How to make cream cheese frosting
- Cream the butter and then add softened cream cheese until all soft and combined.
- Add two cups of powdered sugar and mix well.
- Lastly add 1 teaspoon of half and half or heavy cream and mix until all combined.
- Store it in the fridge until its time to decorate the cake.