Are you looking for a delicious breakfast that touches your soul? Banana Chocolate Chip Scones recipe is what you’re looking for!
So, if you have some ripe bananas, why not try this delicious Chocolate Banana Scones recipe? It’s my number one among all scone recipes!
My Favorite Scone Recipe!
What are Banana Scones?
Scones are quite similar to biscuits but without one important biscuit ingredient which is eggs.
My best scones are banana scones! Crumbly, flaky, and soft Banana Chocolate Chip Scones are similar to banana bread in the banana flavor with a tender fluffy texture.
Banana Scones are great idea to enjoy your breakfast, brunch, snack, or late night treat. I love to pair them with cup of coffee or tea.
If you have extra bananas and you love banana flavor, then try these delish banana recipes:
- Easy Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Easy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Chip and Walnut Banana Bread Recipe
What about a Flaky Scone?
To make these delicious flaky scones, you will need the following ingredients:
- All-Purpose Flour: I use all-purpose flour to make this Chocolate Banana Scones recipe.
- Baking powder and baking soda: The combination of these two is a great way to make scones rise up nicely.
- Sugar and salt: To get perfect scones, add granulated sugar and salt to the flour mixture.
- Unsalted butter: You need butter to mix with flour mixture. Use unsalted butter for best results.
- Ripe Bananas: To make chocolate chip banana scones recipe, you need to have ripe brown bananas.
- Vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste: For a unique universal favorite flavor.
- Heavy cream: You need to add heavy cream to the scone batter. You will also use it to brush the tops of the scones before baking.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips: They add flavor and make your little scones moist. You can use dark chocolate chips or a combination of both.
- White Chocolate Chips: Before you serve banana mini scones, drizzle melted white chocolate chips on the top. It is an optional ingredient and step.
Check the recipe card for quantities.
Perfect Banana Scones for Snack Time!
First, in a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until all dry ingredients are well combined.
Second, grate the cold butter with a cheese grater into the flour mixture and toss to combine with flour until you have a crumbly mixture.
After that, add mashed banana, heavy cream, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Stir with a fork until it starts to come together and forms large clumps. Add the chocolate chips.
Now, transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. knead it and shape it into a ball. Press down the ball into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 triangles using a sharp knife or a bench scraper.
After that, transfer the triangles to a prepared baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Then, brush the scones with heavy cream, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Broil on high if needed.
Transfer them to a cooling rack and let cool down for 10 minutes before serving.
Finally, drizzle with melted white chocolate.
What's Not to Like?
- Brush the tops of the scones before baking with coconut oil or egg wash. To make egg wash, whisk in a small bowl one egg and water using a wooden spoon.
- For a healthier intake, use brown sugar or coconut sugar instead of granulated white sugar.
- To make this recipe gluten-free use gluten-free flours. GF flours include almond flour, oat flour, tapioca flour, and brown rice flour, in addition to other different flours.
- It’s better to enjoy Chocolate Banana Scones on the day of baking.
- However, if you have banana scones leftovers for the next day, then store them in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days in the fridge. They also remain good for 3 days out on the counter at room temperature.
- When ready to enjoy, reheat them slightly in the microwave for 10-15 seconds before serving.
- You can also freeze Banana Chocolate Chip Scones as well! To serve them after freezing, allow them to thaw out at room temperature, then reheat them in a 350 degrees F oven for 3-4 minutes. The edges will crisp again!
Amazing Buttery Texture!
- For easy cleaning after baking, line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Make sure that the butter is cold so that it melts well into the scone dough creating its flaky texture. Cut the needed amount of butter with a pastry cutter.
- Whisk wet ingredients (mashed banana and heavy cream) together in a mixing bowl before adding them to the flour mixture.
- For an easy mixing process, you can use a pastry blender or a food processor to mix well flour and cream mixture.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When you have a shaggy dough texture, then you can divide the dough.
If you do not chill the scones before baking then the dough does not firm up and they will fall over when they are baked.
I don’t recommend using it since coconut milk provides some moisture to the scones and it won't taste like coconut.
Delectable Banana Scones!
Try These Special Desserts Recipes
- No Bake Oreo Dessert Cups
- Easy Homemade Apple Cobbler with Cake Mix
- Halawet el Jibn (Middle Eastern Sweet Cheese Rolls)
- Russian Napoleon Cake
- The Philadelphia Caramel-Pecan Cheesecake
- Homemade Luqaimat (Awamat / Lokma)
- Rolled Baklava - Walnut Baklava Rolls
- No-Bake Nescafe Cake
- Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe from Scratch
- Easy and Delicious Almond Bear Claw
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold
- 3 medium ripe bananas about 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup heavy cream plus 2 tablespoons for brushing the scones before baking
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips melted (optional)
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until all dry ingredients are well combined.
- Grate the cold butter with a cheese grater into the flour mixture and toss to combine with flour until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Add mashed banana, heavy cream, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Stir with a fork until it starts to come together and forms large clumps. Add the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. knead it and shape it into a ball. Press down the ball into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 triangles using a sharp knife or a bench scraper.
- Transfer the triangles to a prepared baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush the scones with heavy cream, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Broil on high if needed.
- Transfer them to a cooling rack and let cool down for 10 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle with melted white chocolate.